Sunday 5 January 2014

I was so inspired by Laika Studio's Paranorman that i decided to learn how to make a stop motion puppet hand with a posable wire armature.

1st I created the stylised hand model in Super Sculpey oven bake clay I burned it a bit but hey who cares! 







2nd I cast it with plaster and created a mold this took a 


few goes but i got there using traditional builders plaster


which probably wasnt the best thing to use in future I would use 


artists plaster. 








I watched a couple of videos online the first one


 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqzKTYrgDOM 


suggested using liquid latex which for me didn't work very well the latex was fiddly to work with and the hand lost all shape and dried like a prune leaving a fairly horrific looking gnarled claw! lol





I did some research and found out that theres a silicone that is pretty good for this sort of thing its called patsil gel 10 and is used to make prostetic limbs so I bought a batch of this stuff and some pigment. 


I painted a layer in the plaster cast first and then placed the armature wire in and then filled the cast with silicone and clamped the two halves together (looks like a tasty cheese toasty!)







 And Success!





One functioning stop motion hand with optional coin ring ;)


When I get another chance il make these wee chavy trainers in white silicone.












No comments:

Post a Comment